Permission to provide temporary cross-border services subject to authorisation crafts

If you, as a citizen of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland, want to exercise a cross-border activity temporarily and occasionally in North Rhine-Westphalia without operating a branch in Germany, you must Show in certain cases. This applies both to the regulated professions pursuant to § 13a of the trade regulations and to the craft subject to authorisation (Appendix A).

The self-employed activity in an open craft or craft-like commercial (Annex B) requires no specific qualifications in Germany. Foreign companies can therefore perform this work without pre-determined requirements demonstrate the craft Chambers or viewing the activity.

Where do I sign the cross-border services?

Temporary cross-border activities in a craft subject to authorisation must be displayed at a chamber of crafts. There are seven Chambers of Crafts in North Rhine-Westphalia. With what authority, you must submit the documents, depends on where you want to be first active. If, for example, you want to redress the exterior walls as a roofer at a house in the Düsseldorf region, you must submit the application to the Düsseldorf chamber of Crafts.

Which Chamber of Crafts is responsible for me?

We gladly inform you in each case of the relevant authority.

What documents must I submit?
  • completed application form ("download information")
  • Proof of nationality: copy of identity card or a comparable identification document
  • Proof of legal establishment: registration certificate or other evidence of your lawful establishment in the country of origin (E.g. Excerpt from commercial register)
  • Proof of professional qualifications: if the profession is bound to professional qualifications in the state of establishment, proof of professional qualifications must be provided, otherwise
    • a proof that the activity in the State of establishment for at least two years is exercised during the previous ten years.

Evidence include mastercraftsman or also known as "EU certificates'. For example, it shows A German craftsman, since when and for which craft the company is registered in the crafting role at the Chamber of Crafts. In Germany the Chambers of its members issue these certificates.

Exceptions apply for the following trades:

  • Chimney sweep
  • Opticians
  • Hearing aid dispenser
  • Orthopaedic technician
  • Orthopaedieschumacher
  • Dental technicians.

These professions may not be exercised until the Chamber of Crafts has issued the following:

  • Confirmation that the qualification is sufficient, or
  • Notice that the qualifications will not be checked.

The documents can be transmitted electronically. The competent authority may require the service provider in the case of reasonable doubt regarding the authenticity of the submitted documents, to submit certified copies.

The evidence (register extracts, certificates and documents) is to translate into German. The translations have to make of sworn interpreters and translators.

The confirmation is valid for one year. In the time of cross-border services, if there are changes in your company that affect the service provision, the change must be displayed and demonstrated by documents.


The fee is approx. €100,00.

Important notes
  1. Construction and expansion of services, provided on a property in Germany, are subject to German VAT. Therefore, you should check whether it is necessary to register with the tax office. What financial Office is responsible, is dependent on the seat of the branch. The listing can be found here.
  2. If you are working over a period of time in another EU country, you need an A-1 certificate. Certificate of A1 explains that during the period of posting of a worker to Germany its own social security system remains applicable and thus German social security law because of the principle of the prevention of Double insurance is excluded. The A1 certificate is at the request of the employee / self-employed person or of the employer by the insurance or the competent pension insurance institution issued and delivered to the applicant.
  3. An employer domiciled abroad, which one or post several workers for the execution of works or services to Germany, have to follow different rules regarding the message of their workers. Among other things must be reported to these customs. You can easily do this online. Furthermore, more minimum working conditions (minimum wage, time sheets) in Germany must be observed that the customs points out on its Web site.